Our focus is to offer protection and quality services to victims and their children through the operation of a safe and secure shelter and outreach programs, offering assistance, counseling, and transitional support while educating the community and raising awareness.
Every day, volunteers help us achieve our mission in a variety of ways:
At our thrift shoppes…we can use your help in our stockroom to sort, size, tag and hang clothing that will go on our sales floor, which is the perfect activity for fashionistas and small groups.
Also, volunteers are needed on our sales floor. If you able to commit to sharing a few hours each week on a regular basis, or you’re a people person that likes to keep things organized, this is a great fit for you. (Must be 16 years old or older to volunteer.)
In your community…you can host a collection drive at your school, community group, or faith-based organization for food, gently used clothes, personal hygiene items, or supplies from our wish list. To support the center in this way, contact Kenlie Kubart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In an office…if you prefer administrative work, we can always use help with filing, computer information or paperwork on a weekly schedule. If you’re interested in this volunteer opportunity, or working with participants, please contact Kelly Franklin at email@example.com.
With our participants…please note that volunteers who wish to work directly with our participants, or on the 24-hour help line, are required to participate in a 30-hour domestic violence classroom training and 30 hours of online sexual assault training to provide them with background information on domestic and sexual violence. This training is mandatory. To sign up, please contact Kelly Franklin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in joining our mission as a member of our paid staff? Betty Griffin Center offers competitive compensation packages and the camaraderie of an amazing and dedicated staff. Enjoy personal growth as a member of our team through challenging, diverse work and paid training opportunities. With Betty Griffin Center, you know each day that you are making a difference in your community and the lives of individuals.
For open positions listed below, please call human resources at (904) 808-8544 x206 or email BevS@BettyGriffinCenter.org.
Shelter Advocate (St. Augustine)
Compensation: $12.00 per hour
Employment type: Full and part-time positions
Required to complete 30 hours of initial domestic and sexual violence training to become registered for privilege communication. Attend and document 16 hours of training each fiscal year in domestic, child abuse, elder abuse, and other issues pertinent to providing quality service to victims of which 6 of the hours each fiscal year will be on sexual violence.
Provide empowerment-based support, counsel, or assistance to individuals.
Secure the shelter for safety and enforce all shelter policies.
Participate in evaluation, intake and discharge procedures of participants.
Handle crisis hotline calls and accurately log information.
Provide emotional support to women and children and make referrals to Family Service Advocates for follow-ups regarding specific problems.
Assist with coordination of donations and distribute supplies to participants as needed.
Assist with keeping a clean and organized working environment.
Good written and verbal communication skills
Customer service skills
Must be a person who can work with survivors of domestic and/or sexual abuse as an individual or as a group
Must have the ability to remain calm and rational in a crisis situation
Must be independent, self-motivated and assertive
Good organizational skills
Strong work ethic and dependability with minimal absenteeism
Positive, social attitude and highly professional conduct
Background in working with survivors of domestic violence preferred.
(Must maintain a valid Florida driver’s license.)
Thrift Shoppe Associate—Cashier (Julington Creek and St. Augustine Thrift Shoppes)
(Note: Thrift Shoppe employees must be 18 years of age or older)
The Thrift Shoppe Associate/Cashier assists the Thrift Shoppe Manager and other staff with the day-to-day operations of our resale thrift shoppe.
This position requires the ability to meet and communicate with the public. Customer awareness, merchandise knowledge, stocking, inventory control, teamwork, and cash register operations are basic functions.
This position will exercise the organization’s “Mission Statement” to establish personal high standards of excellence and job performance.
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform.
Responsibilities include the following (Other responsibilities may be assigned):
- Receive and process cash, checks and credit card payments.
- Assist customers with locating merchandise.
- Ensure that start up and closing cash in the drawer is the proper amount.
- Ensure proper stock levels, correct pricing and ticketing of merchandise.
- Ensure and maintain courteous, high quality customer service. Assist customers with locating merchandise and answer customers’ questions in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Stock racks, shelves, and counters with merchandise according to style, color and department
- Rotate merchandise as required.
- Maintain secure and safe work environment by performing duties in a safe manner.
- Help maintain store in clean and orderly manner; assessing and reporting on store needs such as repairs, supplies, etc.
- Keep work areas clean and neat during shift and ensure clean work areas at the end of all shifts. This includes but is not limited to vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning shelves, counters, racks, floors, aisles, restrooms, dressing rooms, or other general cleaning tasks as assigned.
- Follow policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook and Thrift Shoppe Procedure manual.
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Thrift Shoppe Manager and/or Thrift Shoppe Assistant Manager.
- Attend Thrift Shoppe meetings as scheduled.
- Must be dependable, prompt, willing and able to follow directions and be able to get along well with others, including other staff members.
- A good mathematical aptitude and solid work ethic are a must; as are good references, a friendly demeanor and the spirit of a team player.
- Outstanding customer services skills.
- Retail background would be a plus but not a must.
- Must be available and willing to work some weekends.
Thrift Shoppe—Backroom Associates – Full- and Part-time (Julington Creek and St. Augustine Thrift Shoppes)
Receive, unload and sort donated items at our thrift store. Load large items purchased by our customers in preparation for delivery. Occasionally accompany truck drivers to assist with unloading merchandise at the customer’s location. Must have a great attitude and work ethic, good references, a track record of providing great customer service, a desire to be part of a winning team, a friendly demeanor and the spirit of a team player.
- Picking up donations and unloading at store.
- Deliveries of large items to customers.
- Preparation of donated items for resale.
- Layout and display of merchandise.
- Organization and cleaning of backroom.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds or more and heavier poundage with assistance.
- Good customer service skills.
- Enthusiastic team player.
- Good communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-confident.
- Willing to work weekends as required to better serve customers.
- Strong work ethic; dependable with minimal absenteeism.
We offer equal opportunity to all employees and applicants, without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, pregnancy, HIV status, or any other protected status.