Betty Griffin Center is accepting submissions from St. Johns County Students for the 2024 ‘A Day Without Violence’ Art and Poetry Contest.
The project is open to all St. Johns County students in kindergarten through 12th grade, whether they attend public school, private school or are home-schooled.
All entries are due by Sunday, April 30, 2023.
Prizes are awarded for the winners, who are selected by a group of independent artists: 1st Place — $50; 2nd Place — $25; 11 honorable mentions will be presented $10 each.
All 13 winning artists and 12 poets will have their work reproduced in the Betty Griffin Center ‘A Day Without Violence 2023 Calendar.’ The agency prints more than 3,000 calendars for distribution throughout the county.
Hartley Print was the print sponsor for the 2023 calendar.
Winners will receive special recognition during a St. Johns County School Board Meeting, and have their artwork displayed at a local art gallery this October during Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Student artists and poets can drop off their submissions at the following locations:
- Betty Griffin Center Thrift Shoppe locations: 445 SR 13 North, St. Johns, Florida (corner of Race Track Road and SR 13) or 1961 A1A South, St. Augustine, Florida
- Bartram Trail Branch Library, 60 Davis Pond Blvd., Fruit Cove, Florida
- Hastings Branch Library, 6195 S. Main St., Hastings, Florida
- Main Library, 1960 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd., St. Augustine, Florida
- Ponte Vedra Beach Branch Library,101 Library Blvd., Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
- Southeast Branch Library, 6670 US 1 South, St. Augustine, Florida
- Anastasia Island Branch Library,124 Sea Grove Main St., St. Augustine Beach, Florida
To be eligible, artwork must be in color and able to be reproduced at 8 x 10 and suitable for framing (horizontal format only). All original 2D media is acceptable. The theme “A Day Without Violence” must be reflected in the art or words. An entry form must accompany each piece of art, which can be downloaded here: BGC Calendar Contest Application for 2023.