St. Augustine, Fla. (March 8, 2019) – Betty Griffin Center (BGC) is accepting submissions from St. Johns County Students for the 2020 A Day Without Violence Art & Poetry Contest through March 31.
This project is open to all St. Johns County students in kindergarten through 12th grade, whether they attend public school, private school or are home-schooled. The number of entries vary each year, depending on the number of students that participate. Last year, there were more than 1,200 entries.
Prizes are awarded for the winners, who are selected by a group of independent artists:
- 1st Place — $100.00
- 2nd Place — $50.00
- 11 honorable mentions will be presented $25.00 each
The winners will receive special recognition during a St. Johns County School Board Meeting, and have their artwork displayed at the St. Johns County Administration Building located at 500 San Sebastian View, St. Augustine, FL 32084, throughout the month of October during Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
All 13 winning artists and 12 poets will have their work reproduced in the Betty Griffin Center ‘A Day Without Violence 2020 Calendar.’ The agency prints more than 3,000 calendars for distribution throughout the county.
Drop-off locations include:
- Betty Griffin Center Thrift Shoppe locations at 445 SR 13 North, St. Johns, Florida (corner of Race Track Rd. and SR 13) or 1961 A1A South, St. Augustine, Florida
- Bartram Trail Branch Library, 60 Davis Pond Blvd., Fruit Cove, Florida
- Hastings Branch Library, 6195 S. Main St., Hastings, Florida
- Main Library, 1960 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd., St. Augustine, Florida
- Ponte Vedra Beach Branch Library,101 Library Blvd., Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
- Southeast Branch Library, 6670 US 1 South, St. Augustine, Florida
- Anastasia Island Branch Library,124 Sea Grove Main St., St. Augustine Beach, Florida
To be eligible, artwork must be in color and able to be reproduced at 8 x 10 and suitable for framing (horizontal format only). All original 2D media is acceptable. The theme “A Day Without Violence” must be reflected in the art or words. An entry form must accompany each piece of art.
For more information, contact BGC Event Coordinator Kenlie Kubart at 904-808-8544 x207.
For more information about the contest, visit http://www.bettygriffinhouse.org/day-without-violence-calendar-contest.